Without a doubt, one of any new parents’ top priorities is the safety of their children – Particularly when it comes to travel. With as many as 80% of car seats on the road improperly installed, it is of über importance that you can feel secure in the knowledge that your child(ren)’s seat(s) are properly installed, have not been recalled, are working as they should, and are safe for the road.
It is true that many police and fire stations offer car seat checks to local residents; often free-of-cost. However, here are a few important reasons to consider using the services of an independent Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST/Car Seat Tech) to bring you the peace of mind you deserve! (Flutterby just so happens to partner with a wonderful CPST, Brittany Kubricky, to bring these services to the community!).
1) Skillz: To become a CPST, one must attend an in-depth training lasting several days and pass a rigorous exam. Car seat installation and inspection is serious physical and mental work – And you are put through your paces! CPSTs must learn how to designate and work with different types of seats, belts, cars, and locking mechanisms. They must be familiar with the tons of cars still on the road, how to safely install a seat in them, and when a good install may not happen. They have to be aware of safe and manageable seating arrangements for families in their car, stay current on ever-changing safety features, and have a vast array of resources to call upon.
2) Ongoing Development of Those Skillz: Independent CPSTs must maintain certification, which requires getting at least five different seats signed off and checked (though many private techs do much more), continuing education through seminars, online videos and publications, attending and coordinating car seat check events, and providing at least one community education event every two years.
3) Client-Tech Relationship: When you have your car seat installed or inspected by an independent CPST, you are able to keep in contact with them beyond your initial appointment. With access to the latest research and recall information at their fingertips, your independent CPST can guide you throughout your child’s car seat years. They can help you determine what seats are best for your child(ren)/your vehicle(s) even before you meet, and continue to offer assistance as your child grows or you add additional children to your family. They can even help you choose a car if you’re wondering which one is best for your family!
4) Individualized Attention: No waiting in line with dozens of other parents. No group checks. Just personalized education and attention from your CPST, as it directly relates to your car seat model(s), vehicle(s), and child(ren). Independent CPSTs will do legwork for you - before your visit - making sure that they bring the information you need to your appointment.
5) Longer Appointments: A private check is longer (at least 40 minutes) and specifically focused – Not just checking your seat, but also giving you the tools to do it yourself! Independent CPSTs aren't sponsored by a hospital or organization, thus the small fee they request for their services, and have only your best interests in mind.
To schedule an appointment with Brittany, please visit the web site!
Erin Stertz-Follett, Owner